Dog Bed Drama


When we were making preparations for our puppy Nora to come to live with us, we bought her a kennel and a dog bed. A few weeks ago we found the dog bed outside, all chewed up. The stuffing was everywhere.

"Don't worry, Mum," I said. "I will fix it."

Armed with thread and a needle, I put all the stuffing back in the bed and sewed up the hole. Soon the problem was fixed or so I thought. A week later the bed was chewed up again. I once again sewed it up. But however many times I sewed up the bed, Nora kept eating it. Charlotte helped me sew a sheet over the bed but Nora just chewed right through it. One day when I found her bed chewed up I took it inside and found that there was not enough fabric left on the bottom of the bed for me to fix it.

"Why don't you make it a new bottom?" Sophie suggested.

"What could I make it out of?" I asked.

"How about those old sheets we put in the garage?" Sophie asked.

So I went to the garage and found my old purple sheet with all the holes in it. I was not really sure how to make a new bottom for the bed. I had never done something like this before. I roughly cut the sheet in half and folded it till it was the right size then I sewed the fabric onto the bed. It took a long time but when it was done I was rather proud. Then all that was left to do was sew the pink sheet back over the top of the bed.

The whole procedure took a few hours. I took it back outside confident that this time the dog would not be able to chew through it. I was dreadfully wrong.

The next day the bed was all over the garden. I spent a good five minutes cleaning it up and a good few hours stitching. There was no denying it, we needed a new solution to the bed problem. Dad suggested that we buy Nora a rubber mat but we all thought she would chew through it like she does with her fabric one. For now it looks like I will just have to keep mending it till there is no fabric left.

Do you have problems like these? Do you have any ideas on what we can get the dog instead of her old bed?   

2 comments :

  1. What a problem! There are these bouncy sort of beds that you can get, which have stiff fabric tightly wrapped over the metal legs. If she could chew through that she'd be a machine! We used to have one for a dog we had years ago.
    It was a bit like this one; http://www.improvementscatalog.com/indoor-2foutdoor-dog-bed/13140?redirect=y only without the shade over the top.
    I hope that helps.
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaha nice story!! Sorry I have no idea how but hey at least you can sew a little ;) Love your blog!!

    -M
    http://thelyfoflittleme.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete